D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 10:50:22 UTC 2023

On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 10:16:15 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> How would LTS help? That only means they'll end up stuck at an
> old LTS version. It buys you a year, and then it breaks anyway.

Answer is: planning and versioning. It's much easier to allocate
your time to migrate once a year (ideally once every two years)
than to end up in a constant loop of fixing small issues every
month or so.

Breaking changes usually mean bumping major version number. This
isn't what you want to do _every month_ when you develop some
sort of third party. Long-term breakage is okay, as long as it
happens less frequently. And, as long as this breakage is
actually meaningful, not this "deprecate stuff because we can't
fix it". My **user** opinion is, a well-known bug is better than
correctly working code that breaks code that already works this
known bug around.

> You'd have to postulate a person who is okay with fixing *more*
> breaking changes, so long as it's more rarely. I'm skeptical.

Provided that there _will_ be more breaking changes. Actually,
LTS branch will allow for more breakage short-term, allowing more
freedom of D development, and resulting in less breakage
long-term. Take this `alias this` issue mentioned earlier. If we
had an LTS branch (or release), it could've been deprecated, and
then un-deprecated again. Instead, since it's deprecated, there's
no sense in un-deprecating it now since everyone kinda moved on
already.