D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:22:51 UTC 2023

On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 10:16:15 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 09:22:10 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
>> I disagree with this statement, and I see a lot of people
>> agreeing with my disagreement :)
>> LTS is LTS for a reason, meaning that 3rdparty will (ideally)
>> only target LTS, without having to target unpredictable
>> compiler. I don't understand how this is going to be worse for
>> 3rd party, I only see wins. Have you read the thread btw?  I
>> already posted an example
>> (https://github.com/FreeSlave/icontheme/issues/2) where one
>> person outright __refused__ to do anything about their broken
>> code. I'll copy-paste the reasoning (it's about deprecated
>> alias this):
>>
> How would LTS help? That only means they'll end up stuck at an
> old LTS version. It buys you a year, and then it breaks anyway.
>
> You'd have to postulate a person who is okay with fixing *more*
> breaking changes, so long as it's more rarely. I'm skeptical.

In my opinion, I do believe D is missing a LTS. It is needed.

For example, all I see are monthly releases. Which release should
I be using? As the original post suggest, there are breaking
changes not just in own code but with third-party libraries as
well.

I would like to move over to D (from C#) for various server-side
processes. Whenever I have an afternoon experimenting with D for
a future project, I always hit a brick wall trying to test
something.

For example nanomsg-wrapper. What am I doing wrong? No idea. I
get errors. Now, since the creation of this post... maybe I need
to use an older D release? However, if I then include another
project, will have get more problems?

If we have a LTS build of, say. 18 months, the beta of the next
build can be 12 after, allowing 6 months of tests and cleanups.
It also allows third-parties to build their libraries/tools to
LTS (as well as prepare for the next one)

I think .NET has a good system with .NET 5, .NET 6, etc. Of
course, they likely have a larger team but I don't think an LTS
workflow for D would cause that much problems? Monthly builds of
dlang can continue, afterall.

Just my thoughts (and simplistic, I know.)