Web Programming in D

Andrew andrewlalisofficial at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 08:04:03 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 06:15:47 UTC, Web Dev wrote:
> The D language is among the languages ​​that I have been
> interested in for a long time, and it is pleasing to see that
> there is an active community by following the forum for a while.
>
> As part of my job, I usually develop web software. There have
> been projects where I have used Python, PHP and recently Go for
> the backend.
>
> However, I recently thought of using the D language in web
> projects as well. When I look at the frameworks developed on
> the web, I see Hunt and Vibe.D options.
>
> I think Hunt is no longer in development but Vibe.D continues
> to be developed.
>
> Has anyone done a web project with Vibe.D before? What are the
> positive and negative aspects? Does it make sense to use the D
> language on the web for now?

As someone whose day job involves web development in Python and
Java, at the current state-of-the-art for D web development
libraries, I would probably not choose D for a web project; I say
this even as someone who's developed their own HTTP server
([handy-httpd](https://github.com/andrewlalis/handy-httpd)).

For hobbyist stuff, yeah, go right ahead. But if you're planning
on investing time and money into a product, it just makes sense
to go with something that has a lot more support, better
documentation, better tooling, and so on. And at the moment, that
would be Python + FastAPI, PHP + Laravel, Java + Spring, etc; I
don't see any D library that is yet comparable to any of the
popular language/framework combos.

The issue is that in order to make D competitive in web
programming, with the most bleeding-edge frameworks, we need a
coordinated effort by tens or hundreds of contributors, and I
just don't think that'll happen unless something spectacular
happens in the coming months as the D language foundation
reorganizes stuff.