Bugzilla to GitHub Issues Migration

Robert Schadek rschadek at symmetryinvestments.com
Fri Jun 23 08:34:43 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 15:50:06 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> I still see some issues:
>
> - Please import one BZ comment as one GH comment, so that it's
> still possible to link to a comment. Comments to links should
> be converted to point to the right comment, or else we may lose
> context.

No, github is rate limited, 100 writes per ip per hour. One
comment at a time
will end this migration project.

> - Please put the description and every comment in a Markdown
> block, otherwise things are going to be corrupted due to the
> Markdown formatting.
>
> - Please try it with some bugs from the DMD project before
> doing the real migration. You should see a much higher variety
> of "interesting" bug reports that you would not see otherwise.
>
> - Make sure to actually try moving ALL bugs to a private test
> repository before doing the real migration, for the same
> reasons.

I think this is just stalling stuff, nobody has time to take a
meaningful look at all the dmd issues. Nothing is lost in the
migration as the old data still exists in the same place.

> - Have you considered using the same software that the LLVM
> project used for their migration? Writing our own tool seems
> wasteful if existing proven software exists.

They have no software they have people
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-iwg/issues/56#issuecomment-1001707975 basically they have github people doing the have lifting.

> - We have agreed that a prerequisite of doing this migration
> was ensuring that we can still download the entire data off of
> GitHub, and/or that we maintain a live independent copy/backup
> in case we lose access to the data. Has this been done?

Live was never on the table. I have not written the tool. But
that tool is easy.