Bugzilla to GitHub Issues Migration

Elias desisma at heidel.beer
Fri Jun 23 13:03:44 UTC 2023

On Friday, 23 June 2023 at 08:59:56 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> And I truly don't understand how any of it is about the people.
> Are you afraid that people are too lazy to report bugs via
> bugzilla or something and that using github issues will somehow
> overcome that?

While my original comment about the spam defense issue wasn’t
directed at you and I’ve been only using your comment as
reference for my sarcastic remark, I’d like to invite you to come
to Discord and throw “Gmail” into the search there.

… or actually… I don’t want to bother you with this… so I did the
busywork for you :)

##### 2023-06-07

> For bugzilla, besides gmail restriction, are there any others?

##### 2023-06-01

> Because all our code is at GH, if you have a GH account you
> don't need to create a Bugzilla account just to file, some
> developers won't touch Bugzilla, we don't have direct admin
> access to our Bugzilla (the admin disabled account creation
> with gmail addresses because of spam), etc.

^ which btw also implies that the Bugzilla instance isn’t even
exactly run by the DLF

> The gmail thing is truly egregious. I still don't understand it.

> Tons of people have gmail addresses […]. To exclude all of them
> from posting bugs gives off the impression that we don’t care
> about our bugs.

##### 2023-03-13

> i don't have bugzilla account 😦 and I remember it had some
> troubles with gmail.. […]

##### 2023-01-07

> I bet the number of would-be bug reporters that have gmail
> addresses that just don't do it is in the dozens by now. Is
> this seriously still an issue?

> gmail can't post issue on zilla y?

##### 2022-11-19

> So I create a gmail account to register to the bugzilla, I mean
> here it says that you can use Gmail: [screenshot]
>> We recommend using a secondary account or free web email
>> service (such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or similar) to avoid
>> receiving spam at your primary email address.
>
> So I have to go through the hassle of making a new google
> account linking it with my phone to get notifications from the
> bugzilla just to get told that they don't accept gmail after it
> was clearly stated that I could use gmail?
> I'm done with this

##### 2022-09-21

> Okay, but I can't do that since I can't make an account there
> (since it doesn't accept gmail)

##### 2022-09-15

> We really need to fix the "no gmail addresses on bugzilla"
> problem.

##### 2022-09-04

1. > Is bugzilla the place to report phobos bugs?
1. > yes
    > issues.dlang.org
1. > The e-mail address you entered (blah.blah at gmail.com) didn't
pass our syntax checking for a legal email address. A legal
address must contain exactly one '@', and at least one '.' after
the @. Currently, registering using Gmail addresses is not
allowed due to spam. It also must not contain any illegal
characters.
1. > you will need to post on the N.G. to get an account created
manually
1. > Well in case anyone who has an account feels like reporting
it.
std.experimental.logger broke

> Hey Mike, we had somebody get a deny on creating a bugzilla
> account due to gmail email account

##### 2022-03-24

> Robert's argument for the move (and those who supported on it)
> is that GitHub is where the developers are. We currently
> require anyone submitting Bugzilla issues to create an account,
> and account creation is currently disabled by the maintainer
> for anyone with a gmail address because of spam!

##### 2021-12-20

> the issue tracker: "we recommend using gmail to avoid spam"
> also the issue tracker, but only after you enter a gmail
> address: "Currently, registering using Gmail addresses is not
> allowed due to spam."
> trolled

> blocking gmail adresses seems like a great idea

### Long story, short

It comes up regulary.