dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

tastyminerals tastyminerals at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 15:10:39 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 at 09:14:17 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 at 07:41:02 UTC, tastyminerals wrote:
>>
>> It is safer to just go with whatever is used and accepted as a
>> reliable format for configs. I like the idea to use plain D
>> tbo.
>>
>> JSON lacks comments, but it's fine for minimal default
>> projects. We try to use TOML everywhere in a company, although
>> I cannot say how well it works as a config for building
>> projects. YAML is the most risky, since it has a high chance
>> to alienate a sizeable amount of potential users.
>
> Why would YAML be the most risky choice ? For me it's quite the
> opposite: It's a well known and accepted format, AND the
> implementation is already there. So I clearly don't see how it
> would alienate users, except if those users are also alienated
> by Github Actions, Circle CI, Kubernetes, Ansible, Docker...

You are right, YAML is used in many places these days and good
developers should not be having much trouble adjusting.

When I talk about YAML, I am referring to hundreds of frustration
filled experiences that people eagerly share on hacker news or
face-to-face when it comes to YAML. Starting from different IDE
using different formatting and messing people's PRs, ending with
scary stories about accidentally broken kustomizations causing
prod outages. Because people make mistakes :/
It takes a few seconds to find a bunch of blog articles with some
critique towards YAML and why you should not use it. Imagine how
many beginners are getting inspired by such information and
forming their own opinions.

Valid or not, there is a lot of hate towards YAML among
developers. I am sure that adopting it has its benefits, it is
used successfully in our company as well. What I am not sure of
is whether the main building D tool needs this notoriety and
mental "baggage". Once adopted, next thing you will see on this
forum are questions why YAML for dub?