dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

0xEAB desisma at heidel.beer
Fri Mar 3 18:01:32 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 at 07:41:02 UTC, tastyminerals wrote:
> YAML is the most risky, since it has a high chance to alienate
> a sizeable amount of potential users.

In my humble opinion it’s an awful format to write for users that
only come in contact with it occasionally.

It’s easy enough to understand when reading it, but writing it is
another story.

I don’t think switching to YAML will make DUB more accessible.
It’s too hard to get right without experience and DUB isn’t worth
learning YAML when you have no other uses for it.

DUB recipes should be fun to write or they’ll needlessly end up
low quality, i.e. people not bothering to create configurations,
sub-packages in cases where they would make sense. If I have to
lookup YAML specifics first to deploy advanced features, I will
probably just not use them so I can get away (with not looking
deeper into YAML than absolutely necessary).

Furthermore, the acceptance of DUB in the community is already
noticeably less than it should be. Will the introduction of YAML
improve this? Or will it cause a further hit to the acceptance?