dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

0xEAB desisma at heidel.beer
Fri Mar 3 17:42:03 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 14:29:28 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> JSON was there from the beginning, I assume due to Dub's npm
> inspiration.

Composer uses it, too.
(It’s not like NPM and DUB were the only ones to use it for
package recipes.)

It’s a simple and commonly understood format, widely used (mostly
for other use cases, of course) and feels similar to program code.

I assume most users are probably already familiar with it.
Chances that someone has to “get into” this format just to use
DUB are pretty low.

What do other languages use for their “package” descriptions:

- Windows: Chocolatey: XML (+ JSON)
- Go.mod: custom(?)
- Java: Maven: XML
- JavaScript: Bower: JSON