dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:04:06 UTC 2023

On Friday, 3 March 2023 at 17:42:03 UTC, 0xEAB wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 14:29:28 UTC, Mathias LANG
> wrote:
>> JSON was there from the beginning, I assume due to Dub's npm
>> inspiration.
>
> Composer uses it, too.
> (It’s not like NPM and DUB were the only ones to use it for
> package recipes.)
>
> It’s a simple and commonly understood format, widely used
> (mostly for other use cases, of course) and feels similar to
> program code.
>
> I assume most users are probably already familiar with it.
> Chances that someone has to “get into” this format just to use
> DUB are pretty low.
>
> What do other languages use for their “package” descriptions:
>
> - Windows: Chocolatey: XML (+ JSON)
> - Go.mod: custom(?)
> - Java: Maven: XML
> - JavaScript: Bower: JSON
> - JavaScript: NPM: JSON
> - .NET: NuGet: XML
> - Nim: nimble: custom(?)
> - PHP: Composer: JSON
> - Rust: crates: TOML
> - Zig: zigmod: YAML

Zig doesn't use zigmod, it's a one of the community project, they
have their own thing now, zig build, you use zig, and 'zon', wich
is basically a zig file that returns a struct, to describe your
packages/dependencies

Java doesn't use Maven, it's a dead format, most popular one is
Gradle and it's Groovy or  maybe Kotlin, i don't remember

I think trying to mimic what other language DID in the past isn't
really helpful

What problem trying to solve? i think adam has the best idea, no
need anything, stick to D, that's something worth experimenting
with

And i wouldn't be surprised if the web people move towards that
in the future aswel

https://deno.com/blog/you-dont-need-a-build-step