Is UI interesting for us?

Jacob Shtokolov jacob.100205 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 20:47:48 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 10:03:29 UTC, Ikey Doherty wrote:
> Is there general interest in UI within the D community? And is
> there enough to have our own toolkit, or would we be better
> placed to contribute to the likes of gtk-d?

I'm pretty sure there is some interest. The only problem is that
all those UI toolkits are severely outdated and not up to the
current standards.

IMHO, the current UI standards are dictated by the frontend
frameworks like React or Vue, and also Flutter (and I'm talking
about the component-oriented UI).

Rust has another UI library that follows the React functional
patterns: https://dioxuslabs.com/

Those functional paradigms are also a great fit for D's dip1000
and the possibility to avoid the GC as all the UI components have
a deterministic lifecycle makes it a pretty natural choice for
implementing it in D as well.

If only we could have something like Vue.js (where styling and
representation are properly defined) and be able to switch
backends, say, GTK, QT, HTML, etc...

I bet that would be a huge win for the D community!