Is UI interesting for us?

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Mar 26 00:10:42 UTC 2023

On 25/03/2023 11:03 PM, Ikey Doherty wrote:
> Is there general interest in UI within the D community? And is there
> enough to have our own toolkit, or would we be better placed to
> contribute to the likes of gtk-d?

Absolutely. Many people have tried and done stuff for this.

GUI toolkits are very complex and extremely hard to get right. They are
not something you should be doing on a whim with the intent of mass
adoption.

Look at Adam's stuff, its pretty successful and long lasting. Yet it
doesn't cover all the core requirements to be used by the masses (like
UI automation for accessibility).

I've been working in some form or another since 2014 to build a fully D
GUI toolkit and during that time I have had some success but mostly
failures and an awful lot of iterations.

Right now I'm doing what amounts to a new standard library, -betterC,
works with shared libraries including with dll's on Windows by dmd. It
is incredible. It should be a very good solid base to build a GUI
toolkit upon. It does what I view as everything right. It gets read only
memory right with data structures for instance and should be very hard
to get its usage wrong wrt. memory safety.

We have attempted in the past to bring us all together with the graphics
workgroup, while that has ended, I did utilize an awful lot of the ideas
from that into my own work.

The reason I'm going so hard on getting the underlying stuff right is
because we've been doing the exact same thing since early in D1 days.
Nothing has really stuck. You can see this exact same scenario playing
out in Rust too.