A few holes (imho) in the ecosystem of libraries

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Mon May 15 14:19:26 UTC 2023

On 16/05/2023 1:04 AM, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> #
>
> A font library that "does it all":
>
>   * support TrueType/OpenType
>   * rasterizing glyphs, glyph cache
>   * or output the bezier curve instead to give to a Canvas rasterizer
>       o including support for the many annoying Truetype extensions
>       o because the dg2D rasterizer is faster than doing the glyph cache
>         thing!
>   * get font metrics
>   * support a registry with font, parsed from system, but also added
>     manually
>   * to avoid fragmentation: -betterC/@nogc compatible, no exceptions,
>     stuff like that
>   * small, defined API arsd font it almost there, and printed:font is
>     almost there, and many others do a part of this, but nothing quite
>     does each of these things.

I need everything but the bezier curve (plan is my canvas library would
be GPU accelerated).

So if it was possible to use another library that I could wrap, that
would be great.

If I have to do it all myself whatever I come up with is going to have
something like 4+ D shared libraries as dependencies. Joy!