OT: Short review of an unself "paper" Re: D Language Foundation Weekly Planning Session Update

Theo Theo at gmail.com
Sat May 20 23:21:48 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 14:36:42 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 5/19/23 21:16, Theo wrote:
>
> > I studied and wrote about this very topic, extensively, [...]
>
> That doesn't mean you should accept it. Critical mind is a part
> of science as well.

Umm.. you don't get awared a degree in science without a critical
mind.

Personal views play no part in a degree in science.

I also have no personal view on the 'self', except, that I don't
really understand what it is, exactly ;-)   .. the biological
self I understand. The self that we make up for ourselves, or
others make up for us, is at best .. a polysemous concept.

Enought talk of the self anyway. Lets put that aside.

> For me, one of the most important signals is contradiction: No
> person who claims to have a scientific mind should be blind to
> it. No matter what the motivations of authors, journals,
> readers, and universities may be. Contradiction is a
> fundamental signal that will guide you the right direction.
>
> > I don't want people preaching to me on this, or any other
> matter.
>
> Nobody did that. There was just an announcement about an
> organizational method.

That is not how I understood the announcement. It sounded like a
philosophy how to to make D great again, was going to be preached
to all of us - including at Dconf.

> I know I shouldn't preach about the futility of hurting people
> under infinite pseudonyms just to get class private in the
> language. You need strong support for such a weak feature,
> which will never come from trolling. You pull me into an
> off-topic hypothesis just to get class private? Good luck to
> you with that and I go to my Thunderbird settings.
>
> Ali

This is the exact vitriole that one has to put up with, just for
wanting to be able to declare a class member private within a
module.

someone: "I want an option to have a class member to be private
with a module."

10's of others: "That's an utterly ridiculous, perverted idea for
the D language. Stop trolling us. OOP is bulls%%#. Nothing needs
to be private. Just use structs and make everything public! We
don't do that OOP crap in D anymore! If you keep saying this,
we're going to block you, and we're going to filter you out in
our Thunderbird settings.."

and around and around it goes.... even still it seems (you being
one of the main contributors to this merry-go-round!).