D is our last hope

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:08:18 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 26 November 2023 at 17:52:24 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> Is there really any other language than D that can replace C++
> and Rust?
>
> Go is good, but very tedious to write.
> Zig, Odin, Beef, V and Jai are not production ready (according
> to the creators themselves).
>
> C# is the only thing is see that could be a serious
> alternative. Forget about Java, Kotlin or whatever.
>
> But other than C#, are there really any serious alternatives?
>
> I don't think Rust is the answer, for many reasons.
>
> Well, maybe Nim would actually be a serious alternative,
> however, I'm kinda used to the C-style.
>
> Any feedback?

A D developer/supporter, when having discussions about Rust, Zig,
Odin, Go, etc... are going to include D in the conversation as
well.

Sadly, a developer of the other said languages are unlikely to
include D in theirs.

To me - this is the reality.

It is probably strong words to suggest that the D language has an
identity crisis - but I don't think many people include D in the
discussion of these languages because it is hard to tell :-

Is it a competitor of C++       ?
Is it a competitor of C#        ?
Oh.. is is a competitor of Rust ?

D can support so many ways to solve a problem. I believe the
impression people have is that it is always trying to move the
goal posts. What is the target audience, here?

I am at an age now where I cannot be bothered to learn a new
language. Maybe I just have "learning new language fatigue" - if
that is a thing. Apparently Rust has a bit of a learning curve. I
looked at Zig and just lost interest. This is why I liked D in
the first place. Originally, I viewed it as "C with C# features"

I have, however, played with Odin and I do like it. I am
seriously thinking of using it if I build a game in future. Odin
goals are laid out plain and simple - what it will be and what it
wont. Very straight forward. I think Jai will be similar.

Just my thoughts. Dlang, I think, goes in the same category as
C#... until further notice.