Is modern D ready for "embedded first" paradigm?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Oct 11 08:11:28 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 11 October 2023 at 00:45:40 UTC, Dmitry Ponyatov
wrote:
>> Go, Java, C#, F#,
>
> on 20K RAM microcontroller? 8)

Only on your dreams does D fit into a 20K controller, when even
ISO C doesn't.

Yes, maybe with betterC there is a subset that one can make into
it, but that isn't D, just like C dialects that fit into such
controllers, full with language extensions aren't ISO C proper.

And yes, if dialects are allowed, there are also microcontroller
versions.

> or on a Raspberry-like board controls some CNC machine or 3D
> printer in hard realtime?
>
>> Rust are already there,
>
> maybe, but in my experience Rust totally unacceptable not only
> by newbies in home&hobby control, but even with people with
> more then twenty years of coding -- I mean in original post,
> that D can catch this market segment even comparing to C++

Since a market reality check seems to be required, instead of me
just telling they exist out there.

Java:

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/developer-tools/perc

https://www.aicas.com/wp/products-services/jamaicavm/

https://www.microej.com/product/sdk/

https://developer.itron.com/

Go:

https://www.withsecure.com/en/solutions/innovative-security-hardware/usb-armory

https://tinygo.org/

F# / C#:

https://www.wildernesslabs.co/

https://www.nanoframework.net/

Rust:

https://ferrous-systems.com/blog/announce-esp-training/

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/internet-of-things-blog/modernizing-embedded-development-on-azure-sphere-with-rust/ba-p/3699383

https://www.adacore.com/gnatpro-rust

https://www.windriver.com/products/vxworks/datasheet

Ada:

https://www.adacore.com/

https://www.ghs.com/products/ada_optimizing_compilers.html

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/developer-tools/apexada

https://www.ddci.com/products_score/

http://www.irvine.com/tech.html

http://www.ocsystems.com/w/index.php/OCS:PowerAda

http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/janus95/j-ada95.htm

A not exhaustive list of production quality toolchains, some of
them more than a decade in production and existing customer base.