Is modern D ready for "embedded first" paradigm?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 07:06:15 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 10 October 2023 at 06:39:14 UTC, Dmitry Ponyatov
wrote:
> Reading some posts about the D language here and there I found
> some opinion that D is not popular because it still did not
> find its kill features set and application domain.
>
> What do you think about promoting D lang as a main development
> language for embedded, IoT, and real-time multimedia &
> automation applications?
>
> Is D ready in its current state (including runtime, stdlib and
> side libraries) to follow the cross-compile way as a main
> method of its usage? (GDC/LDC)

If we're talking about a a bare-metal real-time application in a
microcontroller, honestly no. D can do this sort of thing but
it's not currently it's strong area. You're almost without
library support in those platforms. Phobos does work with
`-betterC` (or generally without a full-featured DRuntime) but it
means continuously dealing with all sorts of incompatibilities
and corner cases.

However, if we're talking about something like Raspberry Pi
embedded applications, I could see D being a much better option -
I haven't tried myself though so listen to anyone who has.