slint GUI, for RUST, C++, nodejs, dotnet. cloud add Dlang support

d007 d007 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 16:34:29 UTC 2023

On Friday, 13 October 2023 at 15:09:27 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> I don't understand why slint is popular, it's one of the worst
> library out there, and it uses a custom scripting language
>
> Just look at the generator, it's very basic:
> https://github.com/microhobby/slint-dotnet/blob/main/SlintDotnet/Generator.cs
>
> The resulting API however.. very ugly:
> https://github.com/microhobby/slint-dotnet/blob/main/test/Program.cs
>
> Can't really call this a binding
>
> If you do embedded work, I suggest lvgl (no scripting, so you
> can fully make use of powerful D's capabilities):
> https://github.com/lvgl/lvgl in pure C

lvgl is great.

I guess slint is used to tanslate target language. for example we
translate vide.d template into dlang source code, then pass to
dmd compile.

Slint allow us use live preview to design the UI, and generate
execute binary direct from target language code.  this can
guaranteed the best performance and flexibility, and the results
binary size is also very small (if we use betterC for this case).

for example a slint c++ project result around 200KB binary.