Just another example of missing string interpolation

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Oct 18 02:19:21 UTC 2023

On 10/17/2023 5:45 PM, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 October 2023 at 00:27:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Neither would YAIDIP. write() takes a variadic argument list.
>
> Which is irrelevant because it *works correctly* when passed to write(), so
> there's no need for the compiler to say anything.

I don't see how, from my reading of the proposal.

It doesn't matter that much if write() does not give a compile time error, as
this is normal and accepted for variadic functions. But as you've characterized
it as a fatal error, the YAIDIP spec should be improved to address it.

>> YAIDIP also requires the correct version of user-defined InterpolationHeader
>> to be the one in scope.
>
> The text of the yaidip doesn't specify this, but this is utterly trivial to
> solve; the dip 1036 specified a fully qualified name for it and this one could too.

If it's trivial, then please fix the proposal.

BTW, it's normal to uncover errors like this in a proposal for a new feature.