Just another example of missing string interpolation

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 02:39:10 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 18 October 2023 at 02:19:21 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> I don't see how, from my reading of the proposal.

The first example under the Description shows this exact
situation and then goes on to explain how and why it works as
expected.

> But as you've characterized it as a fatal error, the YAIDIP
> spec should be improved to address it.

It is a fatal error for YOUR (rejected) dip 1027, as it silently
leads to wrong results in common cases. This was all explained in
detail in the review process four years ago.

Things work correctly with this proposal, you either get the
expected results or a compiler error, as a natural consequence of
the existing type system. Nothing needs to be spelled out about
this as there are not any special cases.

> If it's trivial, then please fix the proposal.

Already did, over an hour ago. It took about 30 seconds to
specify. This isn't a big deal. (And btw, even if it didn't
specify, the behavior is well-defined in the D Programming
Language, and such things are already similar in other places,
including other existing compiler hooks, see _d_cmain
<http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2022_07_18.html>.

But now the text does specify the fully qualified name anyway, so
this is all moot.