Just another example of missing string interpolation

Bradley Chatha sealabjaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 23:21:35 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 18 October 2023 at 22:43:56 UTC, Andrea Fontana
wrote:
> I genuinely don't understand the opposition to such a highly
> desired feature that can only enhance code readability.

Because the parts of the D community that are both vocal and
motivated enough to discuss language improvements are a mix of
opposing egos striving for their own visions of perfection, and
any slight compromise is deemed unacceptable, unworkable, and
nothing short of heresy in the eyes of the all mighty Perfect
Solution.

I mean this in a relatively sincere way as everyone wants what
they think is best for the language, but failure to come to a
common ground results in things like several years of on-and-off
bike shedding around features other languages (that don't have
the same challenges and complications as D for what its worth)
could have pushed through several times over since then.

Every C# release I get really excited to see some of the cool new
features and syntax sugar they add, as it's often well designed,
well integrated, has tooling support straight away, and generally
just helps make code feel cleaner... (well not all the time lol).

Meanwhile we still can't figure out a way to get string
interpolation into the language that isn't shot dead in its
entirety on arrival :D

However if DIP1030 (Named arguments) - which I'm slightly
surprise wasn't bikeshedded to rejection - managed to get
through, then I'm optimistic in another 5 years we'll have
settled on something for interpolation, whether it be outright
rejection of the entire idea, or an actual implementable solution.