String Interpolation

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 18:22:50 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 25 October 2023 at 15:55:07 UTC, Andrea Fontana
wrote:
> I wonder why we can't do this in D, using text() or format() or
> everything else instead of returning tuples.

D *can* do this, but it has limitations that affect D uniquely.

D can manipulate types and aliases. Tuples are compatible with
this.  Wrapper objects are not.

Besides, even if we gave up on type and alias support, implicit
string interpolation is still problematic.

I've written about all this many, many times in previous dips and
blog posts. That's why I wish this thread was closed. It has been
done to death and you should read the old reports instead of
running int he same circles over and over again.