Future of D

A moo person moo_mail at fake.com
Mon Oct 30 19:01:09 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 18:28:02 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 17:52:19 UTC, A moo person wrote:
>> personal code in D because I can't reasonably see a future for
>> it with how D has gone. There is a perpetual unwillingness for
>> D to change in any meaningful way.
>>
>> I still pray one day someone will fork the language and start
>> working on a D3 to break the stagnation that is the current D,
>> but its a pipe dream...
>
> In which languages could you see future?

A big problem is I have never once seen a job posting asking for
D programmers. Tons of jobs still asking for c and cpp, tons of
jobs in python or c#, even see postings asking for rust
programmers now, but I have honestly never once seen a job
posting asking for D programmers and that is with me actually
going out of my way to search for them.

Nothing lasts forever, I assume eventually all languages will
die, but D feels likes the walking dead at this point. All
momentum feels like it was drained out over many many years of
mismanagement. I can't in good conscious recommend it to people
anymore even though I love aspects of the language itself so much.

I had a bit of hope when a while back there was that feedback
request campaign, but after I saw the response to it I pretty
much lost all hope. I know people here will disagree, I really
resisted coming to this conclusion myself because I have sunk a
lot of personal time and energy into writing D code. But that's
where I am now after 10 years of hobby D programming.