Future of D

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 30 20:47:34 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 19:01:09 UTC, A moo person wrote:
> A big problem is I have never once seen a job posting asking
> for D programmers. Tons of jobs still asking for c and cpp,
> tons of jobs in python or c#, even see postings asking for rust
> programmers now, but I have honestly never once seen a job
> posting asking for D programmers and that is with me actually
> going out of my way to search for them.

It is well known fact. But it doesn't mean a lot actually.
And I know cases when actually D developers were searched with
"C++/C#" jobs description :)

> Nothing lasts forever, I assume eventually all languages will
> die, but D feels likes the walking dead at this point. All
> momentum feels like it was drained out over many many years of
> mismanagement. I can't in good conscious recommend it to people
> anymore even though I love aspects of the language itself so
> much.

Recommend people for what? It depends. I think it is quite safe
to recommend D for personal project, to have joy and fun. Also if
they need to prepare some MVP fast and if all components are
available in std/3rd party libraries (check the quality of those
libraries not too hard). For something else - it could be harder.
I just mean it is not 0/1 question..

> I had a bit of hope when a while back there was that feedback
> request campaign, but after I saw the response to it I pretty
> much lost all hope. I know people here will disagree, I really
> resisted coming to this conclusion myself because I have sunk a
> lot of personal time and energy into writing D code. But that's
> where I am now after 10 years of hobby D programming.

I thought stabilization the lang and fixing bugs were a
long-waited wish of many users.
But there will be always 2 sides of the community: who already
fine and don't want to break a lot, and who is not yet fine and
want to break a lot to be fine as well :)