Future of D

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Oct 31 16:17:54 UTC 2023

On 31/10/2023 11:50 PM, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 October 2023 at 09:28:40 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
> Cattermole wrote:
>> I was motivated at the time to see them completed. I no longer am.
>
> Sorry about that, I clearly dropped the ball. Want to restart?

Not particularly. I'll leave it to Paul to communicate the big stuff.

Mine:
https://github.com/Project-Sidero/basic_memory/tree/main/source/sidero/base/allocators

Only things I'd change is dump TypeInfo in favor of my own thing, and
allow getting rid of duplicative state (defensive programming).

>> I am reminded about std.uni's table generator. You said one thing on
>> one previous PR, and on mine after I had done the work wouldn't say
>> anything affirmative about it going in. What is absolutely sad about
>> this is after it was in I heard that Symmetry were starting to get
>> uneasy about the tables being so old and were thinking about replacing
>> the entire thing.
>
> I don't know enough about the issue to opine, unfortunately.

See that is concerning. That means you haven't done risk analysis yet.
After all, having tables that were later manually modified (which they
were) without the table generator is a ticking time bomb. That could
stop dmd being released.