Future of D

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 17:39:20 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 31 October 2023 at 16:17:54 UTC, Richard (Rikki)
Andrew Cattermole wrote:
> On 31/10/2023 11:50 PM, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> I am reminded about std.uni's table generator. You said one
>>> thing on one previous PR, and on mine after I had done the
>>> work wouldn't say anything affirmative about it going in.
>>> What is absolutely sad about this is after it was in I heard
>>> that Symmetry were starting to get uneasy about the tables
>>> being so old and were thinking about replacing the entire
>>> thing.
>>
>> I don't know enough about the issue to opine, unfortunately.
>
> See that is concerning. That means you haven't done risk
> analysis yet. After all, having tables that were later manually
> modified (which they were) without the table generator is a
> ticking time bomb. That could stop dmd being released.

It seems to me like this is a symptom of D's leaders being spread
too thin. Is it really reasonable to expect Atila to be
up-to-speed on every last detail when he has so many different
projects to oversee?

Atila shouldn't have to do risk analysis on a project like this.
He should be able to delegate that task to someone (like
yourself) who has the motivation to take it on and whom he can
trust do a good job. And that person should then be responsible
for presenting the results in a way that Atila can digest without
needing to ramp himself up on all of the relevant background
knowledge.

I know we have people in the D community who are capable of
filling this role. So, why aren't they? What do we need to do to
make that happen?