On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

Francesco Mecca dlang at francescomecca.eu
Mon Sep 4 09:46:54 UTC 2023

On Monday, 4 September 2023 at 09:07:18 UTC, user1234 wrote:
> On Monday, 4 September 2023 at 08:40:13 UTC, A.Guy wrote:
>> During the last day's panel discussion at the Dconf, the
>> presence of the Ucora marketing representative was truly in
>> poor taste. Not to mention the fact that he was given so much
>> speaking time amid various technical questions. Upon reviewing
>> the video on YouTube, it feels like we're watching
>> interspersed advertisements.
>>
>> If IVY were indeed something serious, perhaps it wouldn't need
>> all this publicity, and instead of having the Ucora
>> representative speak, we could have received substantial
>> details from Walter or Atila (not just the "it made me realize
>> I should listen to the contributors and not mind my own
>> business..." comment). It seems like there's a lot of fluff
>> and excessive promotion of their IVY program, all of this
>> happening in the midst of the only Dlang event that has some
>> level of presence and media attention. As a spectator, I
>> simply felt embarrassed.
>
> It [was
> announced](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/bzflkxoidxzldsnjvhfi@forum.dlang.org) by Mike that the conference will be the occasion to introduce the adhesion with UCORA system. I take this more as a proof of transparency.
>
>> Not to mention the fact that he was given so much speaking
>> time amid various technical questions
>
> During the panel talk, one of the question asked to the UCORA
> representative was actually planed to be asked on day one...
> maybe this contributed to give the impression of
> over-representation. However the answer, as summarized
> [here](https://gist.github.com/p0nce/3cd6fc0df00763e7f642e3111807ee8f#panel-ask-us-anything-with-walter-bright-%C3%A1tila-neves-mathias-lang-dennis-korpel-saeed-sabeti-mike-parker) was "The D community at large doesn't have to care". Given your name, "A.Guy", I'm gonna assume that, just like me, you fall in that "large" category ;)

I have seen most of the day 3 stream on youtube and while I don't
agree that the Ucor had over-representation, I hold the opinion
that if the D community doesn't have to care about Ucora, for
sure we have heard a lot about them, always in very generic terms
and without a trace of proof that they did something significant.
While I am happy that D is gaining some corporate traction, I
have personally interacted with Sociomantic people and Symmetry
people, this Ucora thing seems more like a cult. My personal IVY
statement is that if this IVY program works, we would see the
effects of it in the short/medium term, for now we only have the
free - I hope! -  marketing done by Walter, Mike and Atila.

I am not contributing to D anymore for different reasons but I am
still following development closely. Nothing has effectively
changed in the past year.

My current position in this is that I don't care much about Ucora
but I welcome any positive change by the core D team. That would
speak more for Ucora than  any of the free visibility they got at
Dconf