On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Mon Sep 4 09:07:18 UTC 2023

On Monday, 4 September 2023 at 08:40:13 UTC, A.Guy wrote:
> During the last day's panel discussion at the Dconf, the
> presence of the Ucora marketing representative was truly in
> poor taste. Not to mention the fact that he was given so much
> speaking time amid various technical questions. Upon reviewing
> the video on YouTube, it feels like we're watching interspersed
> advertisements.
>
> If IVY were indeed something serious, perhaps it wouldn't need
> all this publicity, and instead of having the Ucora
> representative speak, we could have received substantial
> details from Walter or Atila (not just the "it made me realize
> I should listen to the contributors and not mind my own
> business..." comment). It seems like there's a lot of fluff and
> excessive promotion of their IVY program, all of this happening
> in the midst of the only Dlang event that has some level of
> presence and media attention. As a spectator, I simply felt
> embarrassed.

It [was
announced](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/bzflkxoidxzldsnjvhfi@forum.dlang.org) by Mike that the conference will be the occasion to introduce the adhesion with UCORA system. I take this more as a proof of transparency.

> Not to mention the fact that he was given so much speaking time
> amid various technical questions

During the panel talk, one of the question asked to the UCORA
representative was actually planed to be asked on day one...
maybe this contributed to give the impression of
over-representation. However the answer, as summarized
[here](https://gist.github.com/p0nce/3cd6fc0df00763e7f642e3111807ee8f#panel-ask-us-anything-with-walter-bright-%C3%A1tila-neves-mathias-lang-dennis-korpel-saeed-sabeti-mike-parker) was "The D community at large doesn't have to care". Given your name, "A.Guy", I'm gonna assume that, just like me, you fall in that "large" category ;)