On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Sep 7 22:00:21 UTC 2023

On 9/7/2023 11:34 AM, FeepingCreature wrote:
> minimal exposure to consultants and any sort of social "system" training course.

There are many of them, and the efficacy of them varies widely, of course.

The military, for example, is very organized in providing leadership training to
officers. This is based on a couple thousand years of recorded military history.
It's effective. The military is not going to leave it to chance.

The mistake is thinking we somehow are born with innate knowledge of how to
lead, and therefore can just wing it.

Steve Jobs was not a born leader, he learned how to be one. See the book "The
Second Coming of Steve Jobs". Ronald Reagan took an intensive course in training
how to present his ideas when he announced a run for the Presidency. Bill
Clinton reportedly took 2 weeks off every year for a retreat which honed his
presentations.

The trick, of course, is to take the right course.

Ivy is probably the simplest of all the ones I've seen. It also lines up with
what I know works in business and personal relationships.