On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 17:27:05 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 7 September 2023 at 18:31:10 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> Ideas for new features for D have been deferred for the time
>> being
>
> This is the saddest thing ever, i've been waiting for tagged
> union / tuple since forever
>
> IVY = bureaucracy + religion, recipe for disaster, and we are
> already seeing the effects: the language is now in a deep
> freeze state

On a project of D's size and scope, there is no such thing as "no
bureaucracy." The only choice is between explicit, formal
bureaucracy that's been designed intentionally; and implicit,
informal bureaucracy that's been designed by accident.

What we currently have is the implicit, informal kind of
bureaucracy, which has all the disadvantages (hard to get things
done) without any of the potential advantages (easy to keep track
of what's being done and who's responsible). Moving away from
this towards a more explicit system should be an easy win.