On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:06:24 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 9 September 2023 at 17:27:05 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 September 2023 at 18:31:10 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>>> Ideas for new features for D have been deferred for the time
>>> being
>>
>> This is the saddest thing ever, i've been waiting for tagged
>> union / tuple since forever
>>
>> IVY = bureaucracy + religion, recipe for disaster, and we are
>> already seeing the effects: the language is now in a deep
>> freeze state
>
> On a project of D's size and scope, there is no such thing as
> "no bureaucracy." The only choice is between explicit, formal
> bureaucracy that's been designed intentionally; and implicit,
> informal bureaucracy that's been designed by accident.
>
> What we currently have is the implicit, informal kind of
> bureaucracy, which has all the disadvantages (hard to get
> things done) without any of the potential advantages (easy to
> keep track of what's being done and who's responsible). Moving
> away from this towards a more explicit system should be an easy
> win.

I don't buy any of this, this is just a way to distance yourself
from the people who actually use the language and want to solve
problems, what tools are in there for those who don't want to use
EH/GC? nothing, does IVY has the answer? does IVY people know how
to program in C, do they know what competition is doing?

Tuple DIP predates this IVY thing, what are the excuses