I love D

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 09:16:27 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 07:27:39 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

> I wonder why D isn't more popular.
>
> Also we have arsd, so it's an automatic win.

I think major points is:

1) most devs are web related - this means that even when using
existing solutions there is demand on single-file binary
distributions that can be deployed on target node(infrastructure
management, clouds, etc...) without hassle, sure it is doable in
D but people are lazy so they just choose Go and won't bother,
esp. with such poor IDE's and debugging experience in D.

2) Since this unity fiasco last week I see many unity developers
coming to godot and ask if there C# feature for this or that, how
can they drop everything they made in godot without doing extra
work, and some even demand to drop built-in scripting language
and make C# the only choice.
I can't objectively say anything neutral so no comments, but this
situation shows the mentality as well.

(I must to say though there are wide gap between their skills,
and truly experienced devs already showing some cool stuff made
with godot on a level that I haven't seen before.)

3) Fresh programmers are looking at tooling first, more
specifically jetbrains level IDE for the language they are going
to use(or just invest their time to), this whole story when
reading tons of reddit comments(and tech related QA boards)
becoming very frustrating as people won't even consider using
anything other than rust, go, or the very least C++, of course
for that enterprise development there is basically only two
options - Java and C#.
There is also demand on readily available components/scripts/code
assets from non-tech people who just wants to make something and
don't want getting their feet wet from dealing with all this
"tech stuff".

So basically these 3 points are all intertangled, in short:
D isn't yet mature enough, it is not yet polished enough for wide
masses, the convinience and tooling "just sucks"(tm).