Garbage Collection for Systems Programmers

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Thu Apr 4 08:29:11 UTC 2024

I have argued for many years that D can scale, and that is a good thing.

Sometimes GC is right (especially for business logic), other times you
need full control and are talking to the cpu directly about memory.

At one point I even got Walter to agree that someone is allowed to work
on adding write barriers (opt-in) so a more advanced GC could be
written, although nobody has done it.

Yet my stuff is -betterC.

I argue that reference counting should be used exclusively for system
resources and be part of the language so that we can take full advantage
of it, but argue that business logic should be GC based simultaneously.

It certainly isn't black or white! Its a scale of values and multiple
may be in use at any given time and that is a desirable trait of D.