How purity w/o the specific optimizations then allowed is useful ?

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Tue Apr 16 15:07:34 UTC 2024

Short story for the context : someone has recently proposed the
concept of purity for FreePascal, and only for their own dialect
(aka _ObjFPC_). The proposition is to "check purity only when
optimizations are enabled, because essentially the point of
purity is only to optimize more" (think CTFE, think memoization).

But [I fail to explain the
opposite](https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/merge_requests/645#note_1863564617). How is purity a useful concept if not leading to specific optimizations ?

And is that even the case ?

Side note: I dont plan the use your answers to arguee w/ the
author. It's more that conceptually I'm interested.