Real D

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Thu Apr 25 16:14:02 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:58:23 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 22:37:44 UTC, tony wrote:
>> most D forum users agree on is that both garbage collection
>> and object-orientation are bad (so why did they choose D?)
>
> Keep in mind even the D programmers that don't use the GC in
> production use it in prototyping and internal tooling.
> So I'd say we all appreciate the GC in using D, by a large
> majority, and benefit from it.

I'll add: Just check with valgrind programs made by people who
think they manage memory better than a GC. There are several
things people dont think of. To name two: copy construction,
alignment when your work with value types. Your (not nominative,
more generally) own memory management system is likely to be
worse than D GC ;).
Invalid reads, invalid writes, double frees, etc. La fiesta.