Real D

Liam McGillivray yoshi.pit.link.mario at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 22:14:34 UTC 2024

On Monday, 15 April 2024 at 21:40:14 UTC, Doigt wrote:
>> Maybe the DLang Tour needs a little more TLC. Start off with
>> their purpose of using D. Maybe BetterC should be there from
>> the get go! branch off in 2 directions. You want to try do in
>> all its glory.. go here. Want to turn off the Garbage
>> Collector.. go betterC! etetera!!

I've never even looked at it until just now. It's very, very
brief.

Sure, I suppose it can be made to be fancier overall. I suppose
having two branches is a good idea; one for systems programming
that includes `@nogc` and `betterC`, the other for those who like
it easy. I'm not sure what's the best way to quickly communicate
this.

> I have criticized the state of D's horrible documentation for
> as long as I've been here. The documentation is lacking, it's
> never really explicit and it uses pure D jargon that is not
> easily understandable from an outside perspective. At this
> point, I learn more by just asking on discord than "reading the
> fucking manual".

Is this about Phobos, or something else. My perception was that
the Phobos documentation is pretty good, though I suppose it can
be clearer in some cases as to what types a function accepts as
arguments. I don't think it's any worse than the PHP library
documentation.

Now would someone coming from a C or C++ background be more or
less forgiving than me? Someone from such a background would have
programming experience that may give them better ability to make
the most of lousy documentation, but then again, they may have
seen more good documentation than I have.

Given how obscure this language is, I was pleased to see how much
documentation there is. It was interesting to discover that the
writers are largely the same people I've been interacting with
here.