Are there any notable libraries written in D which have gotten considerable use outside the D community?

Lance Bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Apr 21 02:47:24 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 22:26:41 UTC, Liam McGillivray
wrote:

> But are there any exceptions that I should be aware of? Are
> there any libraries that have been written in D, and then
> gotten considerable use by programmers without D experience, in
> programs not written in D?
>
> I would think that this would be technically viable with the
> `betterC` option, though the difficulty would be in advertising
> it's compatibility to non-D programmers.

You don't need betterC for that. You can call regular D from
other languages just fine. I've spent years writing libraries in
D that can be called from R (but just for my own use).

As for those types of libraries becoming popular with other
language developers, well, I think that most anyone willing to
trust a D library instead of a C library would have a strong
preference to write their whole program in D. One reason C
libraries are popular as extensions is because writing C sucks so
furiously that you only want to write the minimum necessary in C
and then get back to using a language with features.