collectNoStack should be axed

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Mon Apr 22 00:00:12 UTC 2024

On 22/04/2024 10:26 AM, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole wrote:
> On 22/04/2024 9:58 AM, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole wrote:
>> The oldest version of D that is in the release archive is 0.5, which
>> has it.
>>
>> That is from 17/11/2002
>>
>> So wayyyyy before dsource.
>
> Found an even older one!
>
> dmdalpha19.zip from ftp.digitalmars.com
>
> Contains fullcollectNoStack still.
>
> But this time its in C.
>
> Also:
>
> ```
> //
> // Copyright (C) 2001 by Digital Mars
> // All Rights Reserved
> // Written by Walter Bright
> // licensed to Chromium Communications
> ```
>
> Interesting header.
>
> I've gone through that ftp server. Doesn't appear to be anything older.
>
> At this point somebody is gonna have to get lucky, perhaps booting up
> some old machines or backups.

I've been able to find an alternative GC implementation.

August 21 2002, https://web.archive.org/web/20170913015932/http://opend.org/

Unfortunately that GC doesn't look like alpha19.zip's and that is older
as its from February 8 2002.

So that is a complete dead end (it doesn't have it).

Welp I'm out of ideas, looks like that is it.