DMD release cadence report 2023

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 23 20:50:40 UTC 2024

On Monday, 22 April 2024 at 19:56:35 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Moving forward for the next 12 months, is keeping at this pace
> fine? Should it slow down or speed up?
>
> Iain.

As a hobby user of D - personally not really care..
But just to share my idea, how it could be improved:

The speed itself probably not that important. Predictability
would be much more desired.
By predictability I mean - in the beginning of the cycle (start
of the year) Core team is choosing things that they wanted to
implement/fix (high level estimation).
And again only the order of those things is important, not actual
dates.
Something like:
In this year we would like to:
* Add string interpolation
* Add tuples
* Add pattern matching (with fix of sumtypes)
* Implement modern concurrency (with fix of allocators)

So community and especially tooling people will be able to plan
their work for tools support as well. Of course fixing some bugs
is a continuous infinite task.

This approach could eliminate situations like "nobody asking but
hey now you have to live with this cool feature! It is easy PR -
ready to merge", which is after several years still not ready..