Phobos 3 Discussion Notes - 02-01-2024

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 16:34:23 UTC 2024

On Friday, 2 February 2024 at 14:46:45 UTC, aberba wrote:
> What about the missing standard library pieces  that are core
> to everyday software dev? Stuff you get out of the box with
> java/python. Is there such considerations beyond fixing the
> mistakes of v2?
>
> * Json
> * XML
> * Streams
> * Networking (http, socket, ...)
>

> If I understand correctly, v3 is about . How about new module
> additions to v3 such as the above?

The above list are all things that I would love to see make it in
to Phobos 3. The reason that I haven't put them down as
commitments is because, as Rikki noted, the present design does
not yet allow us to make those commitments yet. The multi-root
design I've proposed would allow us to deliver them without
breaking Windows, but my campaign to get it accepted hasn't been
approved yet.

And you did hit on an important point though, the things that we
are looking at adding are cross-cutting concerns that are
applicable to a wide variety of software and that's the guideline
we're going to follow moving forward.