Phobos 3 Discussion Notes - 02-01-2024

Lance Bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Feb 2 16:46:29 UTC 2024

On Friday, 2 February 2024 at 14:46:45 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Friday, 2 February 2024 at 09:09:37 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Walter and I had a productive conversation yesterday about
>> Phobos 3 and we felt it would be appropriate to share some
>> notes on our discussion.
>>
>> [...]
>
> What about the missing standard library pieces  that are core
> to everyday software dev? Stuff you get out of the box with
> java/python. Is there such considerations beyond fixing the
> mistakes of v2?
>
> * Json
> * XML
> * Streams
> * Networking (http, socket, ...)
>

> If I understand correctly, v3 is about . How about new module
> additions to v3 such as the above?

A better solution would be something like this:

```
dub dxml;

void main() {
   // Call functions from the dxml package
}
```

The compiler would know about certain popular packages on
code.dlang.org. It would download the package if needed, and it
would know where to find the relevant files.

There are good reasons to not add that stuff to Phobos. The
standard to get something in Phobos is high enough that it leads
to a lot of wasted time for many people, it doesn't bloat the
compiler download size, it takes advantage of work that's already
been done, and it could be done quickly, rather than the years it
takes to get stuff done otherwise. (I'm writing this fully aware
of how things get done around here, but I'm going to put it out
there anyway.)