Web Programming in D

enzo matrixenzo843 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:27:18 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 08:04:03 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 06:15:47 UTC, Web Dev wrote:
>> The D language is among the languages ​​that I have been
>> interested in for a long time, and it is pleasing to see that
>> there is an active community by following the forum for a
>> while.
>>
>> As part of my job, I usually develop web software. There have
>> been projects where I have used Python, PHP and recently Go
>> for the backend.
>>
>> However, I recently thought of using the D language in web
>> projects as well. When I look at the frameworks developed on
>> the web, I see Hunt and Vibe.D options.
>>
>> I think Hunt is no longer in development but Vibe.D continues
>> to be developed.
>>
>> Has anyone done a web project with Vibe.D before? What are the
>> positive and negative aspects? Does it make sense to use the D
>> language on the web for now?
>
> As someone whose day job involves web development in Python and
> Java, at the current state-of-the-art for D web development
> libraries, I would probably not choose D for a web project; I
> say this even as someone who's developed their own HTTP server
> ([handy-httpd](https://github.com/andrewlalis/handy-httpd)).
>
> For hobbyist stuff, yeah, go right ahead. But if you're
> planning on investing time and money into a product, it just
> makes sense to go with something that has a lot more support,
> better documentation, better tooling, and so on. And at the
> moment, that would be Python + FastAPI, PHP + Laravel, Java +
> Spring, etc; I don't see any D library that is yet comparable
> to any of the popular language/framework combos.
>
> The issue is that in order to make D competitive in web
> programming, with the most bleeding-edge frameworks, we need a
> coordinated effort by tens or hundreds of contributors, and I
> just don't think that'll happen unless something spectacular
> happens in the coming months as the D language foundation
> reorganizes stuff.

Oh, you've ventured into the wild, wild west of web development
with D, have you? Bravo for treading where the tumbleweeds of
documentation roll freely and the saloons of support are few and
far between! Crafting your own HTTP server is no small feat; it’s
like being a blacksmith in an age of 3D printers. Quite the
hobbyist hero, aren't you?

Indeed, when it comes to the bustling metropolises of [web
development](https://vardaam.com/hire-dedicated-web-developers/),
where the buildings (frameworks) are tall and the streets
(documentation) are well-paved, Python + FastAPI, PHP + Laravel,
and Java + Spring are like the New York, Paris, and Tokyo of the
web world. They've got the infrastructure, the crowds, and the
bright lights. Meanwhile, D is more like a charming little
village on the frontier—beautiful in its own right but not quite
the place for building skyscrapers... yet.

It's a tall order to marshal a legion of developers to bring D up
to the cutting-edge of web development, akin to asking a group of
cowboys to build a space station with nothing but their lassos
and grit. But who knows? With the D language foundation stirring
the pot, perhaps we're on the brink of witnessing a spectacular
gold rush in the land of D. Until then, keep your server spurs
shiny, and may your code compile faster than a gunslinger's draw!