Web Programming in D

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:36:48 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 8 February 2024 at 12:46:05 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 February 2024 at 12:25:49 UTC, Martyn wrote:
>> as **full featured** to others in php, python, go, etc.
>
> .. snip

Please dont take my comment out of context.... you missed vital
bits before it:-

**it is unlikely to be** as full featured to others in php,
python, go, etc.

Despite this... Yes, I will admit it is disingenuous of me to
make this claim. D (or vibe.d particularly) are not popular
choices in the web world. As it is not popular, it is not as
actively used so while "full featured" is inaccurate it is still
prone to bugs that would likely be addressed and fixed with other
popular alternatives.

Everyones position is different. If you (or the original poster)
are working solo or have a team with the **same mindset** to
try/use D then thats a different story. You're all in it
together! For me, I would be arguing to use D with my present
(and past) team.

**I would have to sell D, first**
Even if I win them over with D's power and flexibility - The
question would remain.. why should we use it over PHP, Python,
Ruby, Go, Rust, Java, etc? Could we hire developers easily with D
than Python? Its an obvious question.

**I would have to sell DUB.**
It is already difficult selling DUB from a bunch of C# developers
using Nuget. Again.. why D+DUB when you have package managers
available for other popular alternatives.

**I would have to sell vibe.d**
In all honesty, I think I could sell vibe.d well for simple
demonstrations. It might take a bit of time to get them
accustomed to using Diet.

Despite my efforts, I will likely lose the battle to use D. We
will use a language that is popular, highly active, with web
frameworks heavily tried and tested! When you think of a least
popular choice, you naturally think "what could be missing? Does
it needs to play catchup?"

My comment is not in any way pooping on D or libraries like
vibe.d. I do appreciate the effort that has gone into the
project. However, it is difficult to push for D+vibe.d because
there is a risk compared to using other, more popular frameworks
out there in python, php, go, etc?

Last note -- if i was with a team who were all positive to using
the D language (and even things like Vibe.d)... **I would be all
in!**  So please dont think I am being negative. This is just my
answer to questions like "Should I use D for my next web project"
- it depends.