Web Programming in D

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 20:52:50 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 8 February 2024 at 15:50:41 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 February 2024 at 14:36:48 UTC, Martyn wrote:
>>>
>>> .. snip
>>>

>> Please dont take my comment out of context.... you missed
>> vital bits before it:-
>>
>> **it is unlikely to be** as full featured to others in php,
>> python, go, etc.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I didn't have any context of getting vibe
> in production.
> And your point from first message also was very clear and I
> definitely understood it.
> There are many points why it is almost impossible to bring D
> into production, at least with current level of the development
> (which is not about compiler itself or even ecosystem, but
> about the risks and userbase).
>
> But my question was more about features for web-frameworks not
> related to D.
> Just features themself. And their usability in other frameworks.

Vibe.d is actually very packed with features. It however has got
it's own way of doing session and auth using high level APIs
which I'm not a fun of their design. With that said, I see
nothing that can't be done in vibe.d.

For example, Node.js has express framework which is very popular
for web. Arguably more popular than those traditional (python,
C#, etc) solutions. It's a simple framework and very similar to
vibe.d.

Vibe.d has auth (can do oauth), session, has  orms available,
crypto/hashing, websocket, etc.

The D community is mostly centered around system programming and
many folks here who might not be developing full stack web
professionally are too critical of vibe.d in ways that IMO are
unrealistic. By that criteria, node.js (JavaScript) wouldn't even
be qualify to be used for anything. Node.js (JavaScript) is the
top language for web dev both serverside and clientside.