What ever happened to move semantics?

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Feb 27 06:19:53 UTC 2024

We are aware of all of this.

Move semantics are still on someones radar (I've forgotten who), it was
wanted by Weka.io. The problem is the design of move semantics itself
and motivation. Neither of which are contingent on Walter. Wait for DIP
process to reopen shortly.

A new standard library is currently in the works of being planned.
It is lead by Adam Wilson who has buy in from both Walter and Atila.
This ties into a new planned edition system for ensuring stability of
language.

https://github.com/LightBender/PhobosV3-Design

Shared library support has improved quite a bit, dmd is still WIP for
druntime, but Rainer has gotten dmd's core capabilities working now.
I believe I have successfully designed the user experience surrounding
it, although that has been implemented or accepted just yet. Which will
help prevent linker errors in all common scenarios.