We are forking D

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:29:22 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 12:54:10 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 09:28:15 UTC, Martyn wrote:
>> The only area I personally would disagree on is:-
>> `Embracing the GC and improving upon it, disregarding betterC
>> and nogc in the process`
>>
>> I think GC should be optional or, atleast, have some kind of
>> Allocator feature so we can have control if needed.
>>
>> D allows you to code whatever way you like, or a combination
>> of them... why not provide this power when it comes to memory?
>>

> Or perhaps that power comes with maintenance cost. I don't have
> experience with language design, but I assume there are some
> features that are easier to implement or possible at all only
> if you assume a GC is present. But if you always have to assume
> GC may not be present, you are limiting the development of the
> language. Not saying whether GC is the right way or refcounting
> or anything else, but it's certainly easier if you only have
> one real memory management method to deal with.

What called my attention about D back in the day, was a
Native/Compiled language like C/C++ but with GC built-in.

I think sometimes you need to have constrains and keep with it,
there are a lot of languages out there, it will be very hard to
do what everyone is doing (At least not in high level bases).

So I'd prefer a nice language with some constrains than a
half-baked one.

This is a "new language" (Fork!) from another one, I think that
if people don't want GC, they just keep with the current one or
go with another alternative.

In my opinion I think the first 2 priorities: GC and Safe by
default is a nice thing to start with, and maybe even String
Interpolation should be added as it's already developed but in
alpha/toy mode, so people could taste it more.

Matheus.