We are forking D

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:38:10 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 12:54:10 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 09:28:15 UTC, Martyn wrote:
>> The only area I personally would disagree on is:-
>> `Embracing the GC and improving upon it, disregarding betterC
>> and nogc in the process`
>>
>> I think GC should be optional or, atleast, have some kind of
>> Allocator feature so we can have control if needed.
>>
>> D allows you to code whatever way you like, or a combination
>> of them... why not provide this power when it comes to memory?
>>

> Or perhaps that power comes with maintenance cost. I don't have
> experience with language design, but I assume there are some
> features that are easier to implement or possible at all only
> if you assume a GC is present. But if you always have to assume
> GC may not be present, you are limiting the development of the
> language. Not saying whether GC is the right way or refcounting
> or anything else, but it's certainly easier if you only have
> one real memory management method to deal with.

Sure. Its down to those involved in the currently titled std.v2
A plan looks set with this fork and going full steam ahead!

If they are choosing to remove @nogc (going all in on GC) - they
are free to do so.

One of the reasons why I was interested in D going back a few
years now was because:-

- The GC is optional.
- Performance-wise, it is comparable to C\C++.
- OOP is optional as well. I can code functional, procedural, etc.

I can write code to (really) be a `better C` or a `better C++`
I would even argue that D could also be a `better C#` !!!

Now -- a fork is happening. 2 things are going to happen.
1) Dlang will eventually die if the fork is successful, or
2) The fork fails

(Yes, I do think it will be one or the other - but we shall see
within the next 18 months)

If the fork is really going ALL-IN on the GC, then it no longer
serves my purpose.

Again - I might be the minority. I think there is atleast 1 or 2
other members who will share the same views as me as evident in
this... then more power to them.

I wish nothing but success to Dlang and the new fork. My point is
if the new fork is successful and they all for GC, then it is
time for me to move on (if dlang fades away further as a result
of the fork)