We are forking D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Wed Jan 3 14:14:33 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 13:38:10 UTC, Martyn wrote:

> If the fork is really going ALL-IN on the GC, then it no longer
> serves my purpose.

I think you need to first define what you mean with no GC. I
would presume that a D fork would work like D right now that you
have a choice not to use the GC and instead use library
containers similar to C++ STL (which D has partially already).

What I would like is that we can remove GC requirement for
druntime so that you can use basic system functions without
turning GC on.

However, making Phobos non-GC is a huge undertaking and I really
wonder if is possible or really worth it. The only way I can see
that is realistic is that we introduce managed pointers so that
the GC type can be changed to at least satisfy a little more
people. This remains to be seen which direction the memory
management will go. I personally believe in the short term,
improvements will be made to the tracing GC.