We are forking D

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 17:34:08 UTC 2024

I am going to answer a few questions that are on everybody's mind.

On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 13:38:10 UTC, Martyn wrote:
> - The GC is optional.
> - Performance-wise, it is comparable to C\C++.
> - OOP is optional as well. I can code functional, procedural,
> etc.

This is still going to be the case. If you don't use GC, you
don't use it, just the way it is now. If there are no allocations
being made with the GC, then the GC isn't going to be ran. That
being said, there is no real will to directly support GC-less
code, so as I see it, you'd have to make your own nogc code if
you want to.

On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 at 16:20:39 UTC, Hors wrote:
> If this fork also maintains interop with C, then we can still
> have control via malloc() and free() from a C library.

Of course, the C interop is still gonna be in, it's not something
we want to get rid of entirely. We just don't want to encourage
using it. But if you want to - feel free to do so.