Making 2024 the Year of D

Doigt labog at outlook.com
Sat Jan 6 03:18:03 UTC 2024

On Friday, 5 January 2024 at 04:45:35 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is off topic for both this thread and the forum. So let's
> please get back to the topic of making 2024 the year of D.
> Thanks!

Thank you for getting us back on track, Mike. What I was trying
to say is that we shouldn't have to worry about the community
splitting anytime soon; making this year the Year of D should be
possible.

I have a 3 ideas in my mind that should help make this happen:

1) People should make contributions to D in the form docs and
tutorials. If anyone's drawing blanks, I have a couple of fun
project ideas that should be relatively simple to implement and
be excellent learning tools such as:
* emulating real life social games (rock-paper-scissors, tic tac
toe, nim, guessing a random number, hangman, etc.)
* recreating classic video games (pacman, tetris, space invaders,
boulder dash, sokoban, etc.)
* making simple websites (url bookmarks, basic chat, image
gallery, etc.)

2) People should talk about D and showcase it to
colleagues/fellow students at their jobs/uni. I have been quite
successful in the past in getting around a dozen interested in
the language. (unfortunately, the lack of good and easily
approachable examples/docs/tutorials turned them almost all of
them away from the language)

3) People should write about their projects and not just inside
the D community space but also outside. Livestream your coding
sessions guys. Make youtube vids about them. Generate content.

I know it's not easy to find the time, motivation or
editing/writing/oral skills to do those things I suggested, so
don't hesitate to team up where it makes sense to do so.