Making 2024 the Year of D

Renato renato at athaydes.com
Sat Jan 6 20:24:32 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 6 January 2024 at 03:18:03 UTC, Doigt wrote:

> 1) People should make contributions to D in the form docs and
> tutorials.

I would love to help...

I think that something that needs urgent attention is
documentation for dub. It's criminally underdocumented, despite
being a pretty good tool!

I've been learning it by basically looking at many other D
projects and how they're using it... because the dub docs are
just so incomplete. There's no CONTRIBUTING file on the dub
project, so I assume I can just pick a topic and start writing
docs for it and submit PRs??   Is there a "guide" or anything
that can help find out how things work, or basically looking at
the code is the only way to find out?

Basic stuff like which platforms can be specified is missing in
the docs, lots of pages are incomplete...

Something else I found unnecessarily frustrating is that there's
no "default" approach to testing D code. The official D docs seem
to only talk about the built-in unittest and `assert` which are
quite far from being sufficient for comprehensive testing... but
as I've discovered after looking around at various existing
projects, there seems to be really nice test runners (tested,
unit-threaded), assertion libraries (dshould) etc. there really
should be a "recommended" way to do it which involves good error
reporting (reporting in general)... integrating with tools [like
this](https://github.com/marketplace/actions/test-reporter) is
really important, no one wants to look at a test failure in CI
and have to spend more than a few minutes understanding exactly
why and how the test failed.

About blog posts... I already wrote a basic blog post about my
first impressions with D which I didn't publicize much yet
because I still want to improve it a bit more... if I could write
about how easy it is to start using D, add libs with dub, get
test reports on GitHub Actions (or other CIs) easily and so on,
that would be much nicer than my current post (which goes from
showing how D is pretty nice, to complaining about these
problems).